Colonel Marshal T. Haylett is the Commander of the 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte Air National Guard Base, North Carolina. As commander, he directs and coordinates the activities of 4 Groups consisting of 17 Squadrons and Flights. He is responsible for the policies, programs, and plans necessary to organize, train, equip, and maintain the combat readiness of the 1400 airmen and (8) C-17 Globemaster III aircraft worth $2.4B. The 145th Airlift Wing provides strategic and tactical airlift in support of worldwide mobility and combat operations, as well as homeland defense for the state and the nation under civil authorities.
Colonel Haylett entered the Air Force in 2002 through his commissioning from the United States Air Force Academy. He completed Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Moody Air Force Base (AFB), Georgia and Laughlin AFB, Texas in November 2003 and was then assigned to the 17th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, South Carolina. During his initial assignment flying the C-17, he flew airland and airdrop missions in direct support of Operations ENDURING and IRAQI FREEDOM. Colonel Haylett was subsequently assigned to the 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, South Carolina and completed his C-17 upgrade as a Special Operations Low Level II aircraft commander. In 2010, Colonel Haylett qualified in the C-32B for the 486th Flight Test Squadron supporting various test and strategic airlift missions. His active-duty deployments include 2006 and 2009 as a C-17 pilot, tactics officer, and chief of the mission planning cell for the 816th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron. In 2012, he also deployed as an Assistant Operations Officer for a Joint Task Force conducting Direct Action and Counter Terrorism Missions in Afghanistan.
In 2013, Colonel Haylett transitioned from the active-duty Air Force to the North Carolina Air National Guard as a C-130 Hercules Aircraft Commander in the 156th Airlift Squadron. In 2016, leaning on his previous C-17 experience, he was selected as the 145th Airlift Wing Conversion Officer, responsible for leading the wing’s effort to convert from the C-130 to C-17 aircraft. His first command was leading the 145th Operations Support Squadron. Prior to his current position, he served as the 145th Operations Group Commander responsible for 6 subordinate organizations conducting strategic airlift, aeromedical evacuation, operations support, air traffic control, special tactical air support, and combat weather with Air Mobility Command and Air Combat Command as gaining Air Force Major Commands. In total, Colonel Haylett is a Command Pilot, with over 4,000 flight hours across C-17, C-32, C-130, T-1 Jayhawk, and T-6 Texan II aircraft.
2002 Bachelor of Science in Operations Research, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2007 Masters of Business Administration, Touro University International, Cypress, Calif., by correspondence
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., in residence
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
2021 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. by correspondence
1. September 2002 - June 2003, T-6 Student Pilot, 479th Flying Training Squadron, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
2. June 2003 - May 2004, T-1 Student Pilot, 86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
3. May 2004 - May 2008, C-17 Aircraft Commander, Training Officer, Executive Officer 17th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
4. May 2008 - May 2009, C-17 Instructor Pilot, Wing Combat Plans & Tactics Officer, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
5. May 2009 - Jul 2010, C-17 SOLL II Evaluator Pilot, Flight Commander, 437th Special Operation Division,
Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
6. July 2010 - September 2013, C-32 Instructor Pilot, Current Operations Officer, Flight Commander, 486th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. September 2013 - June 2019, C-130 Aircraft Commander, Pilot Flight Commander, Wing Conversion Officer, 156th Airlift Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
8. June 2019 - August 2021, Commander, 145th Operations Support Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
9. August 2021 – July 2022, Deputy Commander, 145th Operations Group, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
10. July 2022 – May 2023, Commander, 145th Operations Group, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
11. May 2023 – Present, Commander, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,000 including more than 900 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-6A, T-1A, C-32B, C-130H3, C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air and Space Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, May 2002
First Lieutenant, May 2004
Captain, May 2006
Major, March 2012
Lieutenant Colonel, September 2016
Colonel, July 2022
(Current as of 7 May 2023)