Colonel Joseph H. Stepp IV is the Commander of the 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte ANGB, North Carolina. As commander, he directs and coordinates the activities of 4 Groups consisting of 15 Squadrons. He is responsible for the policies, programs, and plans necessary to organize, train, equip, and maintain the combat readiness of over 1400 airmen and (8) C-17 aircraft worth $1.5B. The 145th Airlift Wing provides strategic and tactical airlift in support of worldwide mobility and combat operations, as well as defense support of civil authorities for the state and the nation.
Colonel Stepp was commissioned in 1993 through the Air Force ROTC program at North Carolina State University. He served as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer at Cannon Air Force Base, N.M. and then joined the North Carolina Air National Guard in 1996. Colonel Stepp has served as a C-130H3 Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System Instructor Pilot, and has served in a variety of operational assignments to include Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Chief of Wing Plans, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander, Airlift Squadron Commander, Operations Group Commander, and Air National Guard Advisor to United States Transportation Command.
Colonel Stepp has significant combat operations and staff experience supporting multiple contingencies, including operations Joint Forge, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi Freedom. Colonel Stepp is a command pilot with more than 6,200 flying hours in the C-130H3 and C-17A aircraft, including more than 460 combat hours. Prior to his current position, he served as the Director of Operations-Air, Joint Force Headquarters, North Carolina National Guard.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Agricultural Business Management, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Distinguished Graduate, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, C-130 Weapons Instructor Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource
Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1994 – June 1994, Student, Aircraft Maintenance & Munitions Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
2. June 1994 – April 1996, Maintenance Officer, 27th Component Repair Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
3. April 1996 – July 1997, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. July 1997 – December 1997, Student, C-130 Pilot Initial Qualification, 53rd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. December 1997 – August 2000, C-130H3 Pilot, 156th Airlift Squadron, Charlotte Air National Guard Base, N.C.
6. August 2000 - April 2003, C-130H3 Aircraft Commander, 156th Airlift Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
7. April 2003 – January 2004, Tactics Officer and C-130H3 Instructor Pilot, 156th Airlift Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
8. January 2004 – June 2004, Student, C-130 Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Little Rock AFB
8. June 2004 – August 2009, Chief, Weapons and Tactics and C-130H3 Evaluator Pilot, 145th Operations Support Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
9. August 2009 – August 2013, Chief, Wing Plans and C-130H3 Evaluator Pilot, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
10. August 2013 – May 2014, Commander, 145th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
11. May 2014 – June 2015, Commander, 156th Airlift Squadron, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
12. June 2015 – July 2017, Commander, 145th Operations Group, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
13. July 2017 – June 2018, Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C
14. June 2018 – June 2020, Air National Guard Advisor to USTRANSCOM, Operations & Plans Directorate, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. June2020 – August 2020, Director of Operations-Air, Joint Force Headquarters, North Carolina National Guard, Raleigh, N.C.
16. August 2020 - Present, Commander, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2018 – June 2020, Air National Guard Advisor to USTRANSCOM, Operations & Plans Directorate, Scott AFB, Ill. as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 6,200, including more than 460 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-1A, C-130E, C-130H3, C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
1997 Distinguished Graduate, AETC Commander’s Trophy, Military Training Award, Academic Excellence Award, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training
2000 Distinguished Graduate, C-130 Aircraft Commander Qualification Training
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Top Flyer Award, Academic Excellence Award, C-130 Weapons Instructor Course
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 18, 1993
First Lieutenant Sept. 18 1995
Captain March 28, 1998
Major Feb. 2, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2, 2008
Colonel June 5, 2015
(Current as of August 2020)