Colonel Bryony A. Terrell is currently the Commander of the 145th Airlift Wing of the North Carolina Air National Guard. Before this she was a student at the National War College (NWC). The NWC mission is to educate future leaders of the Armed Forces, Department of State, and other civilian agencies for high-level policy, command and staff responsibilities by conducting a senior-level course of study in national security strategy.
Colonel Terrell entered the Air Force in 1998 and received her commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Ohio University. She has experience in the Regular Air Force and Air National Guard as a support officer, maintenance officer, and operational pilot. Her command experience includes the 167th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 167th Airlift Wing, Martinsburg, W.Va., and 139th Mission Support Group, 139th Airlift Wing, Saint Joseph, Mo. Colonel Terrell has served on the National Guard Bureau staff and at the Air National Guard Readiness Center as the Functional Area Manager for Strategic Airlift in NGB/A3 and the Branch Chief for Rated Management and Personnel Policy in NGB/A1. She has served overseas in South Korea, Japan, and Italy; and has deployed to Kuwait and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Colonel Terrell is a senior pilot with more than 1,100 flying hours and has flown C-17, C-5, T-1 and T-6 aircraft.
1997 Bachelor of Science degree, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
2012 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2014 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, by correspondence
2018 Master of Science, National Security Studies, National War College, National Defense University, Washington, D.C. (to be completed June 2018)
1. January 1998 - April 2000, Community Support Flight Commander, 7th Services Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
2. April 2000 - August 2001, Chief of Readiness and Plans, 8th Services Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of South Korea
3. May 2001 - July 2003, Combat Support Flight Commander, 374th Services Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
4. July 2003 - July 2005, Combat Support Flight Commander, 31st Services Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
5. July 2005 - October 2006, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
6. November 2006 – June 2011, Mobility Pilot – 167th Airlift Wing, West Virginia ANG, Martinsburg, W.Va.
7. June 2011 - July 2012, Executive Officer to Commander Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
8. July 2012 - November 2013, Functional Area Manager (Strat Airlift/Tankers), Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
9. November 2013 - September 2015, Chief, Rated Management, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
10. October 2015 - May 2016, Commander, 167th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, West Virginia ANG, Martinsburg, W.Va.
11. June 2016 - June 2017, Commander, 139th Mission Support Group, Missouri ANG, Saint Joseph, Mo.
12. June 2017 - June 2018, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Va.
13. June 2018 - Present, Commander, 145th Airlift Wing, North Carolina ANG, Charlotte, NC.
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 1,100
Aircraft Flown: T-6, T-1, C-5A, C-17
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 1 oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with bronze hourglass
DEPLOYMENTS / SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS
1. September 1999 - December 1999, Combat Support Fight commander, 9th Expeditionary Support Squadron, Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait
2. July 2002 - December 2002, Chief of Protocol, Joint Task Force Southwest-Asia, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
3. October 2008 - February 2009, Joint Team Records Presidential Inauguration Support, National Archives and Records Administration, District of Columbia
4. September 2009 - October 2010, Chief, Staff Action Coordination Office, Biometrics Identity Management Agency, Arlington, Virginia
5. October 2010 - June 2011, Secretariat of the Joint Staff, National Guard Bureau-Joint Staff, Arlington, Virginia
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 24 December 1997
First Lieutenant 24 December 1999
Captain 24 December 2001
Major 1 June 2007
Lieutenant Colonel 4 November 2013
Colonel 4 June 2017
(current as of February 2018)